Beginnings

As the population of South East England grew during the early part of the 20th century, the Diocese of Winchester was divided into three. Towards the north, became the new Diocese of Guildford and in 1927 Dr John Greig was appointed the first Bishop. 

Initially, Holy Trinity Church in Guildford High Street was used as the Cathedral, but it soon became clear that it was not large enough. In 1928, the Diocese resolved to build a new Cathedral.

Despite many misgivings, the work of planning and fund raising began. It was an astonishing act of faith and vision.

 An architectural competition was held for the design of the new building and 183 proposals were submitted. The portfolios were exhibited for public comment after which five architects were invited to submit full designs.

The winner of the competition was Edward Maufe and he was appointed Cathedral Architect in 1933.