Construction of the Nave

Through the generosity of the brick-givers construction on the Nave started in 1955. To mark the occasion, a Great Pilgrimage was organized from the town centre to Stag Hill. It involved representative groups from most parishes in the Diocese as was probably the largest ever gathering on Stag Hill for an act of worship and celebration.

Building work continued for the next 6 years, following Maufe’s design

In 1957 HM The Queen and Prince Philip visited to lay a stone at the West end to the Nave floor, marking progress. By 1961 building work was not complete but plans were made for Consecration.